Tuesday 4 December 2012

Planning a documentary

 I have come across an article by Tony Levelle that has i think will help us when filming our documentarty. She disscuses how to plan a unscripted documentary. At first i thought it would have no relevence as she talks about things like improvised planning. It sounded like nonsense but as i read on she spoke about having a concreat plan before hand but having some chsanges on set. This rang some bells as last year we had a strong plan but we made so many changes on set when shooting. She goes on to talk about having a feel for what your going to shoot & lacking inspiration  when getting on set even when you have a plan. I remember from last year in the main task, we had a storyboard and discussed how everything was going to look but when i got to my basement, i couldnt get the lighting to adjust to my mood. We were in my basement, cold and lacking inspiration. so i brought a manual heater down to the basement to keeop the crew warm. ironically the heater gave off a really nice orange glow that was perfect for my vision. Tony talks about once on set "open yourself to the direction suggested by what you see and hear. This is how you allow your footage to tell you where to go, instead of following a predetermined script." I told my crew and myself to have some sort of feel when the get on set instead of always sticking to a plan. I know that having a feel for what is right on set will produce a better outcome instead of sticking to a plan 100%

No comments:

Post a Comment